Our Outreach Programs
The Hannah Kahn Dance Company offers modern dance workshops and performances for schoolchildren. We also conduct residencies at schools which include workshops, choreography on students, and performances by the Hannah Kahn Dance Company. During the current school year in addition to performing our outreach program at many Arapahoe, Jefferson and Denver County schools, we are conducting a residency at Knapp Elementary School in Denver.
How To Build A Dance :
is a joyful and lively presentation, demonstrating the structure, discipline, and sources of modern dance choreography through performances, discussions, and student participation. The company has been successful throughout the Metro Denver area public school system for over a decade, captivating student audiences with its performances.
Hannah Kahn, artistic director, leads the program, and five dancers from the Hannah Kahn Dance Company perform fully staged and costumed dances to demonstrate contrasting styles, musical accompaniment, costumes, and moods. The objectives of the program are:
- To enlighten students about the elements that go into “building a dance”
- To encourage and refine concentration and observation skills
- To experience learning a dance phrase. Children will be taught some of the phrases in their seats or on stage, remembering several movements in a row and recognizing them as they appear in the dances
- To inspire students with new creative possibilities and structures, to show that discipline and abstraction can be fun
- To expose students to kinds of movement and music that may not be familiar to them, to encourage open-minded curiosity and interest
- To attune students to the natural human interest in rhythm and motion
- To Have Fun!
Modern Dance Workshops and Master Classes
Hannah Kahn Dance Company is flexible in terms of what we offer. In addition to performances, we are available for modern dance workshops and master classes. The students would learn about the elements of dance (body, space, time, and energy) through dance techniques and improvisational games exposing them to the process of creating their own dances.
Our fee for a single performance is $400 and for a double performance – $700. Workshops are $70 each, or $60 each if there are more than one on the same day. You may also contact us about the possibility of receiving our programs at reduced fees. We would usually need advance notice to include your school in our grant application process. Please contact us if you are interested, it is our goal to share quality, innovative art with our community!